Saturday 21 March 2009

Body Modification


Probably one of the most fascinating lectures so far. Personally nothing particularly made me feel squeamish (besides the foot wrapping thing) but I can understand why some people were a little off put by some of the things.
That being said, I find it difficult to understand why some people would actually want some of these things done to them, obviously hundreds of years ago they all had a lot of practical value, but to do some of these things purely for aesthetic reasons doesn’t make much sense to me. Admittedly some of the things were insanely beautiful, but most of them seemed like glorified disfigurement to me (obviously like the scarification, the beading and especially, the erm, quirky gentleman who thought splitting his dick was attractive).
Obviously there’s nothing wrong with anybody wanting any of those things done to them, but I think with most people the novelty would wear off. Particularly if they have them because they are being rebellious; there will probably come a time when they just can’t relate to that anymore.
Although I guess it’s all down to personal choice, and if anybody has any of the modifications after a bit of thought and for the right reasons then they probably won’t regret it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment